ELTS là một trong những kỳ thi kiểm tra trình độ tiếng Anh phổ biến nhất trên thế giới nhằm đáp ứng cho nhu cầu học tập, làm việc và sinh sống ở các nước sử dụng tiếng Anh. Sở hữu một chứng chỉ IELTS với điểm số ấn tượng có thể giúp bạn tạo ấn tượng hơn với các nhà tuyển dụng. Kết quả của kỳ thi IELTS được công nhận bởi hơn 9000 tổ chức giáo dục, công ty và các tổ chức chính phủ trên gần 135 quốc gia.
Chuyên mục “Ngân hàng IELTS” đem đến cho bạn đọc những kiến thức, tài liệu, hướng dẫn hữu ích, mong muốn chia sẻ và đồng hành với người học trong suốt hành trình chinh phục IELTS.
Trong bài học này chúng ta sẽ làm một bài tập luyện nghe để chuẩn bị cho bài thi Task 1 – Listening nhé:
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
HIRING A PUBLIC ROOM
- the Main Hall – seats 200
Room and cost
- the 1 ………………………. Room – seats 100
- Cost of Main Hall for Saturday evening: 2 £………………………. + £250 deposit (3 ………………………. payment is required)
- Cost includes use of tables and chairs and also 4 ……………………….
- Additional charge for use of the kitchen: £25
Before the event
- Will need a 5 ………………………. licence
- Need to contact caretaker (Mr Evans) in advance to arrange 6 ……………………….
During the event
- The building is no smoking
- The band should use the 7 ………………………. door at the back
- Don’t touch the system that controls the volume
- For microphones, contact the caretaker
After the event
- Need to know the 8 ………………………. for the cleaning cupboard
- The 9 ………………………. must be washed and rubbish placed in black bags
- All 10 ………………………. must be taken down
- Chairs and tables must be piled up
Woman: Oh, hello. I wanted to enquire about hiring a room in the Village Hall, for the evening of September the first.
- hiring a room: đi thuê/ mướn
Official: Let me just see … Yes, we have both rooms available that evening. There’s our Main Hall – that’s got seating for 200 people. Or there’s the Charlton Room …
- have something available: có sẵn thứ gì
- that’s got = that has got: cái đó có
Official: The (1) Charlton Room – C-H-A-R L-T-O-N. That’s got seating for up to one hundred.
Woman: Well, we’re organizing a dinner to raise money for a charity, and we’re hoping for at least 150 people, so I think we’ll go for the Main Hall. How much would that cost?
- raise money for: quyên góp tiền cho từ thiện
- go for = choose: lựa chọn
Official: Let’s see. You wanted it for the evening of September 1st?
Woman: Yes, that’s a Saturday.
Official: So from six pm to midnight that’d be (2) £115 – that’s the weekend price, it’s £75 on weekdays.
- weekdays: những ngày trong tuần
Woman:That’s all right.
Official: And I have to tell you there’s also a deposit of £250, which is returnable of course as Iong as there’s no damage . But we do insist that this is paid in (3) cash, we don’t take cards for that. You can pay the actual rent of the room however you like though – cash, credit card, cheque …
- deposit: tiền cọc
- returnable: có thể được trả lại
- damage: tổn thất, thiệt hại
- do insist that: nhấn mạnh rằng
- (be) paid in cash: được trả bằng tiền mặt
- take cards: chấp nhận thanh toán bằng thẻ
- rent: tiền thuê
Woman: Oh, well I suppose that’s OK. So does the charge include use of tables and chairs and so on?
- charge: khoản phí
Official: Oh, yes.
Woman: And what about (4) parking ?
- parking: đậu xe
Official: Yeah, that’s all included. The only thing that isn’t included is … you said you were organizing a dinner?
- included: bao gồm trong đó
Official: Well, you’ll have to pay extra for the kitchen if you want to use that, it’s £25. It’s got very good facilities – good quality cookers and fridges and so on.
- pay extra for: chi trả thêm
- facilities: trang thiết bị
Woman: OK, well I suppose that’s all right. We can cover the cost in our (5) entry charges.
- cover the cost: có thể trang trải chi phí
- entry charges: phí vào cổng
Official: Right. So I’ll make a note of that. Now there are just one or two things you need to think about before the event. For example, you’ll have to see about getting a licence if you’re planning to have any (6) music during the meal.
- make a note of: chú ý tới
- licence: bằng/ chứng chỉ
Woman: Oh, really?
Official: It’s quite straightforward, I’ll give you the details later on. And about a week or ten days before your event you’ll need to contact the caretaker, that’s Mr Evans, to make the arrangements for entry – he’ll sort that out with you.
- straightforward: dễ dàng
- caretaker: người quản lý phòng
- make the arrangements: sắp đặt
- sort something out: sắp xếp, thỏa thuận
Woman: And do I give him the payment as well?
Official: No, you do that directly with me.
Woman: Right. Now is there anything I need to know about what happens during the event?
Official: Well, as you’ll be aware, of course the building is no smoking throughout.
Woman: Of course. Yes.
Official: Well, they’ll have a lot of equipment, so rather than using the front door they should park their van round the back and use the (7) stage door there. You can open that from inside but don’t forget to lock it at the end.
- front door: cửa trước
- stage door: cửa sau
Official: And talking of bands, I’m sure l don’t need to tel! you this, but you must make sure that no one fiddles about with the black box by the fire door – that’s a system that cuts in when the volume reaches a certain level. It’s a legal requirement.
- fiddle out: đụng/chạm để thay đổi thứ gì
- cut in: bắt đầu khởi động
Woman: Sure. Anyway, we want people to be able to talk to one another so we don’t want anything too loud. Oh, that reminds me, well be having speeches – are there any microphones available?
Official: Yeah. Just let the caretaker know, he’ll get those for you. Right, now when the event is over we do ask that the premises are left in good condition. So there’s a locked cupboard and you’ll be informed of the (8) code you need to open that. It’s got all the cleaning equipment, brushes and detergent and so on.
- (be) over: kết thúc
- premises are left in good condition: phòng ốc được dọn dẹp sạch sẽ
- (be) informed of: được thông báo
Woman: Right. So what do we need to do after everyone’s gone? Sweep the (9) floors I suppose?
Official: Well, actually they have to be washed, not just swept. Then you’ll be provided with black plastic bags, so all the rubbish must be collected up and left outside the door.
Official: Of course. Well make sure everything’s left tidy. Oh. and I forgot to ask. I presume we can have (10) decorations in the room?
- tidy: gọn gàng, ngăn nắp
- decoration: những vật trang trí
Official: Yes, but You must take them down afterwards.
- take them down: gỡ chúng xuống
Woman : Sure.
Official: And the chairs and tables should be stacked up neatly at the back of the room
Woman: I’ll make sure I’ve got a few people to help me.